NYC Cosmetic Surgery Trends 2013
NYC cosmetic surgery options continue to attract both men and women, according to recent numbers from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). During this year alone, 15.1 million procedures were performed, which marks the fourth consecutive year of growth for the industry. FDA approval for new devices and products, as well as effective new techniques and a growing acceptance of plastic surgery overall may be primary factors driving this trend.
“The demand for plastic surgery remains strong, with our statistics showing increases in both cosmetic surgical and minimally-invasive procedures,” ASPS president Robert X. Murphy, M.D., stated on the organization’s website.
Top 5 plastic surgery procedures
In 2013, the top five plastic surgery procedures in terms of the number performed were:
- Breast Augmentation – A total of 290,000 breast augmentation procedures were performed in 2013, an increase of 1 percent over 2012. Silicone implants were used in 72 percent of those procedures, while saline implants were selected for just over one-fourth of the surgeries performed. Form stable silicone implants provide a more natural look and feel, with a new teardrop shape further enhancing results. Fat grafting is another relatively new option for women looking for fuller, larger breasts.
- Rhinoplasty – Although demand for nose reshaping declined by 9 percent between 2012 and 2013, the procedure continues to be one of the most-performed plastic surgeries today with 221,000 done last year. New techniques and materials for implants have contributed to the rise in rhinoplasty procedures in recent years. The ability to more accurately visualize results through computer imaging and apps has also made nose reshaping more attractive for a wider range of patients.
- Blepharoplasty – Eyelid surgery can be used to raise droopy lids and eliminate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes. The procedure also addresses issues that contribute to a chronically fatigued appearance, such as dark circles and baggy skin under the lower lid. There were 216,000 blepharoplasties performed in 2013, which is a 6 percent increase in the procedure from 2012.
- Liposuction – Liposuction demand remained relatively steady between 2012 and 2013, with a 1 percent decline in the procedure during that time. The 200,000 procedures performed in 2013 may be attributed in part to new techniques that enhance the precision of the procedure and reduce recovery time. However, traditional liposuction procedures like suction-assisted liposuction or SAL continue to be the technique of choice for most board-certified plastic surgeons today.
- Face lift – There are a number of possible reasons why face lift procedures increased 6 percent between 2012 and 2013, including improved techniques that achieve a more natural result. The ability to combine a face lift with other procedures, such as blepharoplasty, implants or skin rejuvenation, may also be contributing to the trend. Surgeons performed 133,000 face lift procedures in 2013.
Other procedures that are showing significant gains in popularity include butt augmentation and neck lifts. Surgeons are also pleased to see breast reconstruction surgery statistics continuing to rise, indicating more breast cancer patients are opting for reconstruction surgery after as mastectomy. Studies have shown breast reconstruction can improve a cancer survivor’s quality of life.
New York plastic surgeon
The success of any NYC cosmetic surgery procedures depends on the expertise and skill of the surgeon performing the procedure. Dr. Thomas Loeb brings years of experience to the operating table and is highly respected for his ability to produce beautiful, natural results for his patients.
To learn more about your options in cosmetic surgery, contact Dr. Loeb’s office at 212.327.3700 to schedule your personal consultation.